‘Circular construction in Rwanda’ networking event
Rwanda’s urban population is expected to increase from 18.5% in 2015 to 41.2% in 2050. This rapid urbanisation is a challenge which, if well managed, can offer opportunities for job creation and economic development.
EnergyVille-VITO and OVO have been commissioned by ENABEL (Belgian Development Agency) to support the Government of Rwanda in the development of guidelines for implementation of circular economy approaches in the construction sector. But also the implementation of these guidelines in an incubation & coaching trajectory with local Made in Rwanda building material producers, and the exchange of knowledge on circular economy approaches in the construction sector. For the implementation of the pilot project, the NGO Entrepreneurs for Entrepreneurs (OVO), who work on the topic of sustainable entrepreneurship in Africa, joined in.
Ten private companies, who produce Made in Rwanda construction materials, were selected for the the incubation and coaching trajectory. Last March, a delegation of Belgian entrepreneurs, students and coaches went to visit them and embarked on a three day boost camp. In June, the Rwandan delegation will travel to Europe and visit inspiring Belgian companies involved in circular construction.
To facilitate knowledge exchange between Rwandan and Belgian companies about circular construction, Embuild Limburg, POM Limburg, EnergyVille-VITO and OVO invite you to a networking event on Tuesday, 6th of June, at the headquarters of Embuild Limburg.
- 17h00 | Visit of the Application Centre for Concrete and Construction
The Construction Engineering Research Group (CERG) of the University of Hasselt (UHasselt) focusses its research on the analytical, numerical and experimental assessment of the technical design of both concrete structures and road infrastructure. The Application Centre for Concrete and Construction (AC³) is a unique infrastructure that is highlighted by two 7 meters high reaction walls and a strong floor allowing for the full-scale testing of structures and structural components up to 36 meters long and 8 meters high.
- 18h00 | Welcome by Michel Vanderstraeten, chairman of Embuild Limburg
- 18h10 | Introduction to the ENABEL pilot project ‘Circular Economy in the Rwandan construction sector’ by Michiel Ritzen, EnergyVille-VITO
- 18h20 | Role of Entrepreneurs for Entrepreneurs (OVO) in this framework by Björn Macauter, OVO
- 18h25 | Two-way testimonial on the learnings of the pilot project, by Anne Froidmont, werecircle and a Rwandan construction company
- 19h00 | Connect and engage at the networking reception
It is no longer possible to register for this event.