From Waste 2 Profit
Sixteen tonnes per person. That’s the volume of raw materials used annually in Europe. Ten tonnes of this goes on structural items (such as infrastructure, accommodation, sustainable goods) and six tonnes leaves the economy as waste.
This gigantic mountain of waste is only getting bigger in our current economic system. What’s more, lots of raw materials are being depleted. So, about time to make changes.
We are tackling the issue with the Interreg project From Waste 2 Profit. We get SMEs from the Meuse-Rhine region involved in the topic of waste management. After all, waste is usually a big expense. Less waste gives companies more of everything: lower costs, new income, and a better environmental report.
What is From Waste 2 Profit?
In the From Waste 2 Profit project, the partners are strengthening waste management within companies in the Meuse-Rhine region. For small-scale businesses, sustainability often seems cumbersome and expensive. However, the opposite is true: a sustainable strategy delivers competitive advantages, promotes economic growth, and creates new jobs.
Waste management (reuse or recycling, for example) is a first step towards sustainability and circularity. By making this a priority, the business will soon reap the benefits.
- Costs are lower.
- Income is higher.
- The environmental report is better.
Small SMEs face a lot of obstacles along the way, often of an organisational, technological, or financial nature. From Waste 2 Profit wants to tackle these bottlenecks.
How do we achieve this?
We offer SMEs appealing support options.
- A €2,500 subsidy for an affordable scan of the waste flows.
- A 50% subsidy for technological solutions or management systems that optimise waste management.
- Matching supply and demand of ‘by-products’ in the form of residual flows.
- Inspiring campaigns and learning networks in collaboration with pioneer companies.
What does this mean – specifically?
- We are establishing a community around waste reduction and waste valorisation. This community consists of businesses that want to improve their waste management for the purpose of circularity. As such, we are developing a learning network of companies, knowledge institutions, and governments.
- We offer companies an audit of their waste flows. We identify exactly how much and which type of waste they produce. This way, we can spot opportunities to reduce waste or reuse materials. For this audit, the company is eligible for a €2,500 financial support voucher.
- We encourage businesses to innovate more effectively. We offer support in business and project development, and financial support for technological solutions and management systems. Again, companies can claim a financial support voucher for 50% of the total project cost (up to a maximum of €40,000).
- We create more awareness of circular economy. We do this by showcasing best practices from frontrunners. What’s more, we match suppliers and buyers of ‘byproducts’ and recycled products on a Euregional matchmaking platform.
- We keep the administrative burden for companies as low as possible: subsidy applications and matchmaking are all done digitally.
The W2P project will be executed as part of the Interreg VA Euregio Meuse-Rhine Programme, with €2.6 million from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). By investing EU funds in Interreg projects, the European Union invests directly in economic development, innovation, territorial development, social inclusion, and education in the Meuse-Rhine Euregion.